diary-of-a-tongue-piercing

A daily journal on the healing process of my tongue piercing.

How old is too old to get your tongue pierced?

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Days 1-3

Day 1

Well, I finally did it. I never thought i would want a hole through my tongue, but a couple of my friends had it done, and I really liked the way it looked. Plus, my husband wanted me to do it, so there it is.

I went to my favorite tattoo studio, Epic Tattoos in Fort Worth, and asked a bunch of questions. My usual piercer wasn't working, but Jerod seemed capable and very enthusiastic, so I decided to go for it. A guy was getting his done right before me, so I got to watch the procedure before hand. It wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined. It was over in a matter of minutes. So, my turn....

They had me wash my mouth with antiseptic rinse for several seconds. Jerod used some purple dye to mark the spot. I checked to see that I liked the placement. I would have preferred it farther back on my tongue, but my webbing is long, and got in the way. Next he dried my tongue with gauze and had me lay down on the table. He had me stick my tongue WAY out, which was uncomfortable, but not nearly as uncomfortable as the hemostats he clamped down on it next. It took him a few seconds to get the clamps in the right spot. Ouch! Then....the needle. He pushed the needle up through the bottom of my tongue. Surprisingly, it didn't hurt that much. Just a quick pinch. He pushed the jewelry through, and that was it. I had to lay there for a few minutes, as I felt like I might pass out. (Not from pain, just the thought.)

That afternoon I was very uncomfortable. It felt like a pulled muscle.

I ate a lot of chipped ice and took some advil.

Photobucket

Day Two:


Today was NOT fun at all. My tongue is very sore, and swollen to twice it's size. I can't eat solid foods. Living on Jello and Icees. I talk like a special needs child.
"Precious" comes out "Pwesis". "Trouble" comes out "Twubbew". I hope this is just a temporary side effect!

My mom called and I couldn't hide my weird voice. She guessed right away. She started to cry a little bit. Made me feel bad. But MOM! Times change. And I'm happy with it. So be happy for me! There's nothing wrong with being different. I never wanted to blend. (Although, as many people as have tattoos and piercings now-a-days, it's really not that unique.) She said I was desecrating my body. I reminded her that she had holes in her ears. She agreed that I had a point. I guess it just hurts a little that everywhere I go I get complements on my hair, my tattoos, and my piercings. People find it fascinating. I NEVER get dirty looks or condescending comments. The only negative comments I get come from my family. That saddens me. The very people that should accept as I am...don't. But, I also understand. They come from another time in our history. And my family happens to be ultra-conservative at that.

Photobucket

Day Three:

Swelling is down only slightly. Ice helps a lot. Boba Teas are saving my life. I'm drinking Ultra Slim-Fast for protein and vitamins. I did eat some lasagna in tiny bites, but can't eat the cheese. It's too stringy and gets wrapped around the ball.

The actual sight of the piercing hurts more today. A constant stinging on the top, right under the ball. The bottom feels fine. Still talking a little bit funny, but much better than yesterday. I went by to talk to my usual piercer, Kat, and she said that once the swelling goes down and they put in a shorter barbell in two weeks, my talking will return to normal. (Well, almost normal. She said I may always have a slight lisp, but most people can learn to alter it with practice.)

I'm not giving up! I will wait until it heals and then decide if I'll keep it.

Eric is very excited about it. He can't wait to kiss me again. Everyone else just keeps asking me to stick my tongue out, which hurts. Leave me alone and let me heal!!

They say that at this state, a lot of folks go through a period of depression because they can't eat their favorite foods or talk properly. Thank God for Lexapro. J/K. That wouldn't be worth it at all, now would it?! I'm just taking the Advil, and lots of it. It really helps the swelling and pain.

No comments:

About Me

I have 3 kids, 9, 14, and 16. I have 4 dogs, 2 parrots, 12 tarantulas, one black widow, two rats, two fish and a cat. I teach my children at home. I'm an artist and an amateur astronomer.